Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Game of "Clue" 1949 Small Box

I have added a new page that I'm going to use to track my "Clue" game collection. As I update it I'll try and keep it, somewhat, in chronological order with the oldest editions of the game coming first. I have shown of the three versions of the Disney Haunted Mansion Clue here before, so those are photos that will be added to that page. Mostly I'm doing this to have an excuse to inventory my games and figure out exactly what I have, including which games are complete and which games I need to find pieces for. 
This morning I am putting up pictures of the 1st American edition of clue, circa 1949-1950. This is a transition era game as games moved from small boxes with separate boards to larger boxes that contained everything. 

This is the 1949 Small box edition. I'm continually keeping my eye out for these as the colors of the box faded so quickly from a pretty nice darker green to a rather ugly grayish green. This is probably the best of the bunch as far as color goes and it is complete (although I forgot to take a picture of the board). I have a second copy that is only a little lighter in color from this one but neither are really close to the original.










8 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call an all-time classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so! I'll have to go through the closet and start pulling out games and find the rest of the '49 and '50 editions.

      Delete
  2. Nice. This will be fun to watch as you update it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least it gives me an excuse to go through them all again. I had forgotten that there are now four editions of the Disney Haunted Mansion clue out there now.

      Delete
  3. It really is in good nick, when did it become Cluedo or is that a European thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say its called Cluedo over here, but ratbag beat me too it!

      Delete
    2. Actually the game originated in England and you are right it is Cluedo. I think the first English publication was 1948.

      Delete
    3. You are just going to have to be quicker on the keyboard Ray. He's going to beat you every time!

      Delete