Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, September 15, 2014

A New Kolinsky In Town - Scharff 3000 Kolinsky Sable Brush


I ordered a Scharff 3000 Kolinsky Sable Brush from Secret Weapon Miniatures when I ordered more bases for my Marines. I have had it for almost a month and  I pulled it out for the first time last week. Its a nice brush, holds a very nice point, its a bit stiff with a nice spring to it. It looks a lot like a Raphael 8404. I would certainly recommend it as a replacement if you are still looking for a source for your favorite Kolinsky brush. The company is located in GA and the brushes were initially reported to be made in the US. I actually called them to verify this and that information is incorrect. These brushes are made in France (which you can clearly see stamped on the handle) and are being imported, which further invalidates claims that Kolinsky brushes are banned (of course if you have read some of the links I have posted in the past then you know this already). As long as a company fills out the paperwork that the Fish and Wildlife Department wants filled out then their brushes can be imported to the US.

These have a much thinner and lighter handle than either my Raphael or DaVinci brushes. The DaVinci is still my personal favorite and I may start looking for an overseas source on these. However, this one should be a good stand in till I can start replacing my DaVinci brushes.




The business end. On top is a Raphael 8404 #1, in the middle is the Sharff 3000 #1 and on the bottom is the DaVinci Maestro Series 34.

Here are the handles. The Scharff, is just your stand straight handle and a bit on the thin side. My preference is still the DaVinci handle with its triangle shape and its thicker than either of the other two. I find it much more comfortable to use.

6 comments:

  1. Cool. I hadn't heard of these brushes before.

    I just started experimenting with a Games & Gears sable brush that I picked up at Gencon. (My previous brushes are all either W&N Series 7 or Raphael 8404) Have you tried their products? I'd be curious to see how they stack up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The G&G brushes that I have are the ones from their first Kickstarter. I wish I hadn't bought into them. The handles are to long and the brush on each end is more of a novelty than a useful feature (it was "designed" for two brush blending). None of my will hold an adequate point so I use them strictly for base coating miniatures, or moving water from container to palette or mixing paints or what ever. They are totally useless to me as any kind of detail brush. I thought I gave them a good shot too, my dwarf blood bowl team was almost entirely painted using their brushes, except for the freehand work. I had to go back to my DaVinci brushes to do the freehand lettering on the back of the jackets. So I am less than impressed with their double ended brushes. I have not seen their travel brushes, nor do I know anyone local that owns them. Arron Lovejoy was pimping their travel brushes but he didn't bring them with him to ReaperCon so no joy there.

      Delete
  2. Can you tell me why you prefer the Da Vinci kolinsky sable to Raphael Kolinsky sable series 8404? What difference do you discern between the two other than the difference in handle? Jacksons Art Supplies in the UK have a good selection of Da Vinci kolinsky sable brushes, including the top of the range Series 35, international shipping for brushes is generally free. Check out their delivery service. Ken Bromley Art Supplies, also in the UK also stock some Da Vinci brushes, including the much sought after Artissimo Series 428 Sable Quill. Here are the links:
    http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Departments-A-Z_All_Departments-Artist_Brushes-Watercolour_Brushes/c2129_2128_1083_1218/index.html
    http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/cat-da-vinci-watercolour-brushes.htm

    Alison Brennan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its hard to describe what I prefer about the DaVinci over the Raphaels. The DaVincis are a little longer and I like the "spring" or "snap" that their bristles have over the Raphaels. It looks like everyone has gotten their paperwork together and Raphaels, DaVincis and W&Ns are readily available in the US again.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your prompt reply. Just about all the information available indicates that the Raphael brushes have the superior spring or snap but I have also seen some indication that the top quality of these brushes may have deteriorated somewhat since the manufacturers moved their location to a different place in France. I have a few new Raphael Kolinsky sable brushes and they do have very good spring. I have been thinking about trying Da Vinci and on the basis of what you say I'll buy a couple. I hear the Raphaels, and probably the Da Vincis, are equally as good as the W&Ns Series 7 but the W&Ns are horribly expensive and I doubt they are worth the extra money. W&N have also moved their manufacturing base from the UK to France and there is considerable talk that the quality of their products, e.g. their watercolours, has disimproved.

    Alison Brennan (Ireland)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its hard to say that one brush or another has superior snap or spring over another. I just prefer the performance of my DaVinci brushes over my Raphaels. Its kind of a undefinable preference. I have heard a lot about W&N over the years. I was less than impressed with the one that I had. I have also heard that when you find a good one they are awesome, but I shouldn't just have to stumble on a good one so I have not dipped back into that well.

      Delete